Loscoe, St Luke

Loscoe, St Luke

A modern church, the building was completed in 1938 at a cost £8,000 and was paid for by J.J.A. Wooley Esq. with a little help from other quarters,  It was built of Stanford grey bricks, with a 60-foot tower and a clock made by Smiths of Derby.  The tower houses one bell which weighs two hundredweight and was cast by Taylors of Loughborough in 1902.  It came from Thurmaston Hall near Leicester.  The builders of the church were Messrs F. Sisson and Sons of Langley Mill, with Bernard Widdows as the architect.  The consecration took place on Saturday February 26th 1938.

Almost all the church furnishings were made and fitted by B. Dorrington, church furnisher of Holbrook Street, Heanor.  The figure above the altar table was carved in Italy.

Prior to the modern church being built, a mission church was erected and paid for by Butterly Company.  The church was consecrated on March 8th 1924 by the Bishop of Southwell, as Loscoe was part of Southwell diocese at that time.

A most important decision concerning Loscoe was taken in 1927, the year in which the new Diocese of Derby was formed.  On March 22nd, the Ecclesiastical Parish of Loscoe was constituted.


Interior, St Luke, Loscoe
Interior, St Luke, Loscoe

Facilities

Visit requires prior arrangement
Toilets
Car park
Place for quiet reflection

Features

Stained Glass

High Street
Loscoe
Heanor
DE75 7LE

Mrs Jan Jones - Parish Office
01332 880284 (Parish Office) or 01773 768017

Open times:

Open by prior arrangement

BACK TO RESULTS PAGE